Saturday, January 10, 2009
Ellinwood Malate Church s one of the local churches of the United Church of Christ in the Philippines (UCCP). Ellinwood is located at 1660 Vasquez St., Malate, Manila.
History of Ellinwood Church
It was at the turn of the last century that a country was to be reborn. The Philippines, ruled by Spain for 400 years was to give up its hold on their colony as a more superior nation takes over. It was in the year 1898, in the waters of Manila Bay that the American Fleet defeated the Spanish Armada. With tha defeat came a new order and a new beginning.
As the American way of life and governance came in, religious aspect of it came into play. In the summer months of 1899 a shipped docked in Manila bearing Rev. Dr. James B. Rodgers and with him the start of the American Presbyterian mission in the Philippines. The first Presbyterian work in Manila started two areas: in Binondo and in the Ermita-Malate area. From there missions to as far south of the country continued - Cavite, Laguna, Quezon, Bicol, the Visayas and Mindanao.
The 2 buildings were the Ellinwood Boy's Dormitory and the Ellinwood Bible School for Girls. English Sunday Services were held for students staying at the dormitory and also a separate Tagalog service for families staying in the Ermita-Malate area. From the start of formal worship services in 1907, the Rev. Dr. George Wright and his wife Anna were at the reins of the ministry. As years passed, both the Ellinwood and Malate congregations increased in number and the chapel in the dormitory was starting to become smaller and smaller as each Sunday passed.
In 1927 the 2 congregations started to dream of a bigger sanctuary 5 years later with Rev.Catalino Paulino, Ellinwood's first Filipino pastor, helping out, a new sanctuary was constructed and a new congregation was born. The members of the Ellinwood and Malate Congregation decided to become one and thus be called Ellinwood- Malate Church.