Tuesday, May 15, 2007

intramuros


Revisited the walled city and i am still in awe at this magnificent structure within the heart of manila. I’ve spent my college days wandering in its walls and hanging out at the numerous dungeons and I cant help but reminisce.

Shame on me because I dont know anything about this circular wall at the center or what is the purpose of this structure within the walls, all i know is that it is lovely and spent countless times looking at it. there is a stair going down which would lead you to a garden. I guess i have to join in on Carlos Celdran tours to know more about this.

Intramuros was constructed in 1571, during the period of Spain's colonization of the Philippines and was completed in 1606. It’s design was based upon a medieval castle structure and covered 64 hectares of land, surrounded by 8 metre thick stones and high walls that rise 22 metres. It is a city within the wall, housing several churches and schools . During World War II, much of Intramuros was destroyed by bombings.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks like famed ruined cities that of Angkor Wat. . .keep the faith!!!

Anonymous said...

I like your photograph as well as your narrative. There are some mysterious things in the picture. Like the two or three very red or pink stones in the walls. And there appears to be an opening on the left side, at the ground level, of the circular column. I would not know what it was for either.

Have your ever seen two Hondas from the top?

Irina said...

I like the touch of history in your photo. How high are these walls?

Anonymous said...

ang ganda naman ng photo na yan :) yan ang maynila! ang ganda! :D hehe

PinoyBlogoSphere.com
PhilippineBlogoSphere.com

Ming the Merciless said...

What a spectacular view!! I love that you were able to capture the design and structure of the walls.

Find out more about the history and let us know. We are all here to learn, afterall.

Olivier said...

Merci de ton passage sur mon blog sur Evry. Belle photo, tres surprenante, on dirait un immense labyrinthe.


Thank you for your passage on my blog on Evry. Beautiful photograph, very surprising, one would say an immense labyrinth.

yournotalone said...

How ancient it is? Looks magnificant

rumpLeskatz said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!

geez...really I do.

cause I'll be studying in PLM,and your photos made me motivated to check out the cool places I haven't seen before .

I wish you the best.
Keep up the good work.

dosflame said...

That is the Baluarte de San Diego.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails